5 Ways To Describe Midland-Odessa To Someone Who Has Never Heard Of Us
So I went on a mini-vacay recently and had the best time, ate some of the best food, and without a doubt met some of the most amazing people! Fun fact: did you know it is absolutely possible to meet someone who lives here in Texas, born and raised, but has never heard of this area? Had no clue where Odessa/Midland was even located. I mentioned we were in West Texas, so my friend asked 'by El Paso right?' I said not quite so far West.
5 WAYS TO DESCRIBE MIDLAND/ODESSA TO SOMEONE WHO HAS NEVER HEARD OF IT:
1. So since we are currently in football season, of course, I mentioned high school football! I asked, ever heard of Friday Night Lights? My new friend replied, nope. Are you kidding me? I mistakenly assumed people all over the world knew what it was. Apparently not. I said Friday Night football is it. It is everything. I instructed them to watch the movie, or maybe some of the TV show, and that should catch them up to speed.
2. Oilfield! Oilfield! Oilfield! I told her if you have a friend or family member in need of a job, send them this way, they can make bank. However, it can be a catch-22. The cost of living here is pretty high, as are gas prices (no complaints here). But yeah, oil, enough said.
3. I did have to explain that even though oftentimes people say Midland-Odessa as if they were one town, they in fact are not. At one time the cities were about 15 miles apart BUT these days it seems as if they will completely connect at some point.
4. My new friend is from Central Texas so I was quick to say, we definitely do not have trees and beautiful scenery like you are used to. It's not green and it is not unusual to drive for miles in any direction leaving Midland/Odessa and see nothing but flat, dry land. Tell me I'm wrong. I have a commute to and from work, and it is quite boring.
5. And finally I did say both cities have some of the friendliest people in the state of Texas. Hands down some of the most polite, generous, and helpful, people you will ever meet come from Odessa and Midland, TX. Don't be surprised to hear yes sir, yes ma'am, can I help you, pardon me, please, and thank you everywhere you go.
How Midland Has Changed Last 15 Years - Before & After Pics!
Gallery Credit: Leo